Some are helpful, others are questionable…
Business Insider came out with a list of 10 things you can do to help start your day off on a more relaxed foot.
- Go for a quick walk — Natural light resets your internal clock for a new day, giving you an energy boost, and walking also helps keep you healthy.
- Make your bed — It’s a small thing, but it gives you a sense of accomplishment that sets the tone for the day.
- Drink a glass of water — Start the day hydrated.
- Read a book — Begins the day with a calm, quiet activity before its stresses start.
- Write down “three good things” — It’s usually suggested to do this at night, writing down three good things from the day, which has been found to increase happiness. But you can do it in the morning, looking back on the day before.
- Get some caffeine — That alertness boost you get from caffeine will last for five to six hours.
- Do a tiny task you’d otherwise dread all day — You won’t have to thing about it during the day and will come home to a more relaxed evening.
- Clear your mind — Meditation has been found to have many benefits.
- Plan out your goals for the day — Make a specific list of realistic goals and how you’re going to achieve them, which increases your chances of success at getting them done.
- Talk to someone you love –– Social connection is good for our health. Spend a few minutes talking to a family member or friend, in person if they live with you or by phone if they don’t.
I read this list at roughly 5 am and immediately became stressed because some of the things off this list I found to be ridiculous.
- Make your bed– Didn’t understand it when I was 4, don’t understand it now. Why make your bed, when no one but you and you (and significant other) will see it? Moreover, you’re going to ruin the work you did in 16 hour anyway? Waste of time.
- Read a book– I enjoy reading, but one of the many side effects of my diving into a book is that I get sleepy. Not a good idea when I’m already struggling to avoid crawling back into bed.
- Talk to someone you love– I actually like this one, except I don’t think my wife would appreciate me shaking her awake 2 hours before she has to wake up for some chit-chat.
Here are my tips to start your morning:
- Time out how much time you need to get ready and drive to work.
- Maximize your time in bed and wake up with just enough time to get ready and drive to work.
Thanks for reading.
KCMQ Morning Shag
Alleged “Stressed” Morning Person.